Adopting a dog from a shelter or animal rescue center is easy enough but the price of the adoption process can vary. Typical adoption fees can range from $50-$350 because every animal that enters a rescue center is different and each animal rescue center incurs different costs based on their location and services.1
Dog adoption fees are typically calculated from the expenses that the shelter incurs while taking care of the dogs that still need to be adopted. Here are the factors that effect the price of your adopted puppy:
The size of your city
Veterinarian services are more expensive in cities with a bigger population. In Los Angeles, adopting an adult dog will cost you $102-$1226 but adopting a dog from Minneapolis will cost you about $507. Keep in mind that this is not the only factor in the price of your dog's adoption.
The age of your dog
If your adopted dog is only a puppy, they typically incur more medical veterinary expenses than an adult dog. Adopting a puppy will typically cost you double the price of adopting an adult dog because they need to be spayed or neutered, vaccinated, dewormed, and monitored closely. Puppies are also in higher demand than adult dogs, which means there are more adult dogs around in shelters.8
The time of year
Many animal rescue organizations will reduce their adoption fees during the holiday months. When charitable giving is at its highest you can expect cheaper dogs. There are also adoption events that will reduce the adoption fees during the year, keep an eye out for these!
What Is Included for dog adoption expenses1
- An introduction veterinarian exam
- Spaying or neutering
- Vaccines for common diseases like Bordetella, Rabies, Parvovirus, and Distemper.
- Tick and flea preventatives
- Deworming and fecal testing
- Heartworm exams and preventative treatment
- Tick-borne illnesses
- An administrative fee to cover the cost of shelter workers
- In some cases, microchipping
Do you get anything else from dog adoption fees?1
Most rescue centers and animal shelters DO NOT provide anything other than the medical and nutritional necessities required to adopt a dog.
Here is a list of things you should already have when adopting a dog. These costs will be separate from your initial dog adoption fees.
Are there any other dog adoption costs?
After you get your new dog set up with food, treats, toys, and love there are a few extra things to keep in mind when adopting a new dog as your pet.
- Veterinarian check ups: An annual exam from a veterinarian typically costs $100-$600. Sick visits can cost $60-$150.2
- Training classes: Training your new dog is a great way to make a home peaceful and pleasant. Whether your dog is an adult or a puppy, your new room-mate can typically be trained into a good dog for $30-$75 per hour.3
- Pet Insurance: If you want to save money on your pet's medical emergencies, you can pay for pet insurance that has a monthly premium of about $25-$75.4
- Dog walkers: If you're a busy pet owner, you can walk your dog for about $25 an hour or send your dog to a doggie day care for $25 per day.1
- Pet sitters: Pet sitting can cost almost as much as child sitting when hiring a professional pet sitter. Pet sitters typically cost $50-$80 per day vs. $40-$60 per day from a doggy boarder.3
Want to help more rescue dogs?
Animal Car Donation is a 501(c)(3) vehicle donation program benefiting animal rescue organizations. Our program offers a simple alternative to selling or trading in your unwanted vehicle. In return for your donation, you receive the maximum possible tax deduction.
Best of all, your donation helps great animal rescue organizations listed here:
Knowing that your car donation helps to provide support to area animal shelters and rescue groups is something you can be proud of.
- You have NO costs.
- Free pick-up, running or not.
- We take care of all the additional paperwork.
- We issue you with an IRS tax receipt for your records.
- We’ll pick up your donation when it’s most convenient
- We take cars, boats, RVs, Campers, motorcycles, and ATV’s
How do I donate a car to help dogs get adopted?
- Call us at 1-888-969-4857 or fill out an online donation form.
- We will get back to you within 24 hours of the next business day to schedule your free donation pick up.
- When the easy process is over, we will send your tax-deductible receipt in the mail. We are here to answer any of your questions along the way.
Help adopted dogs get all the second chances they need by donating your car today!